CFC Code: 39488
Hagar USA Inc.
Hagar International is committed to the recovery and empowerment of women and children who are victims of human rights abuses, particularly human trafficking, sexual exploitation, and domestic violence. Hagar’s mission is to provide whatever it takes, for as long as it takes, to restore broken lives.
Since its establishment in 1994, the ministry has been guided by the biblical story of Hagar (Genesis 16), responding to the complex needs of women and children who have been cast out, who are without hope, and whose cries are not being heard. Our long-term care addresses social, emotional, economic, and spiritual needs.
To accomplish this, Hagar provides long-term, holistic recovery services – including counseling, residential care, schooling, job skills training and supported work, individualized for each client – to address the complex needs of more than 1,200 women and children each year who have been victims of domestic violence, human trafficking and other forms of human rights abuses.
Hagar is internationally recognized as a Christian human rights organization with 21 years of expertise providing protection and recovery to individuals like Hagar and her son, who have been victims of severe abuse and unable to protect themselves.
Hagar’s programs are based in Cambodia (1994), Afghanistan (2008), Vietnam (2009) and Myanmar (2017), with support offices now located in Singapore (1998), the United States (2005), Australia (2006), New Zealand (2009), the United Kingdom (2011) and Hong Kong (2012).
In 2015, Hagar’s work featured:
- 306 women and children being provided a safe place to live and heal, through a recovery shelter, a foster family, a group home, or through supported reintegration to their families of origin – and continued transitioning to a community-based model of care, which we believe promotes the most effective and efficient healing.
- 678 children who would otherwise not have the opportunity to access education being able to attend school, either at Hagar’s catch-up school or through Hagar’s support in a mainstream classroom.
- 871 women being empowered economically through Hagar’s employment training programs in Cambodia, Afghanistan, and Vietnam.
- 3,454 Counseling sessions delivered to women and children in Cambodia, Vietnam and Afghanistan.
- An increased emphasis on broadening and deepening our relationships with local communities.